Caution: During the first three weeks, avoid heavy or concentrated use of your lawn. This gives the roots an opportunity to firmly knit with soil and ensure that the turf will remain smooth.
STEP 1 – Measuring and Ordering
- With a tape, measure the area of your planned lawn. Include these measurements on a sketch of the lawn area, with the length, width and any unusual features. Santucci Ranch Turf will be happy to determine the amount of turfgrass sod you will need from your sketch.
- Schedule your order for delivery of turf after preparatory work is completed and you are ready to install. Prompt installation on the day of delivery is crucial to a strong beginning for your lawn.
STEP 2 – Soil Preperation
- For best results, rototill or spade the area to a depth of 10-15 cm. (4 to 6 in.). Eliminate drainage problems by having soil slope away from foundations, etc.
- Soil test your lawn area with the assistance of a qualified service in your area. Then rake in fertilizer, lime, peat, compost, etc. as needed to a depth of 7 to 10 cm. (3-4 in.). Rake and smooth the soil removing rocks, roots, and large clods. Roll the area lightly with a lawn roller 1/3 full of water. This will firm the soil surface and reveal low areas that need more soil. Keep the grade 2 to 3 cm. (1 in.) below sidewalks or driveways.
- Water the prepared area to settle soil and provide a moist base for turf. Moisten to a depth of 15 cm. (6 in.) is recommended for most soils. Consult with Santucci Ranch Turf regarding your specific soil needs.
STEP 3 – Turf Installation
- Install your lawn immediately upon delivery. Begin watering lawn within 30 minutes of installation. Turf is a living plant that requires ground contact and moisture to survive!
- In hot weather, protect unlaid turf by placing stack in shade, covering with moist burlap sacking, and/or sprinkling with water.
- Begin installing turf along the longest straight line, such as a driveway or sidewalk. Butt and push edges and ends against each other tightly, without stretching. Avoid gaps or overlaps. Stagger the joints in each row in a brick-like fashion, using a large sharp knife to trim corners, etc. Avoid leaving small strips at outer edges as they will not retain moisture. On slopes, place the turf pieces across the slope.
- To avoid causing indentations or air pockets avoid repeated walking or kneeling on the turf while its being installed or just after watering.
- After installing the turf, roll the entire area to improve turf/soil contact and remove air pockets.
STEP 4 – Watering
- Give your new lawn at least 2 to 3 cm. (1 in.) of water within 1/2 hour of installation. Water daily or more often, keeping turf moist until it is firmly rooted (about 2 weeks). Then less frequent and deeper watering should begin.
- Weather conditions will dictate the amount and frequency of watering. Be certain that your new lawn has enough moisture to survive hot, dry or windy periods.
- Water areas near buildings more often where reflected heat dries the turf.
Mowing: Mow turf often and at regular intervals, generally removing no more than 1/3 of the grass height at mowing. Keep your mower blade sharp. Follow Santucci Ranch Turf mowing recommendations for your type of lawn.
Fertilizer & Chemicals: Fertilizer and chemical application will depend on the season, climate, sod type, soil, insects, weed and disease conditions. For fertilizer and maintenance requirements, please consult Santuci Ranch Turf, your local turfgrass specialist.